Harvey, Sir George Frederick
Sir George Frederick Harvey FRSE RSA (1 February 1806 - 22 January 1876), was a prominent Scottish painter, the son of a watchmaker, was born at St Ninians, near Stirling. Autograph Frank (Envelope) Writing Signed, 12/14/1871 - 5 1/2 x 3 written in bold blk ink with an embossed seal of the Scottish Academy (recto), lovely golden-browning hue seen and a clear postal stamp in blk ink marked “Edinburgh” overall, fine/very fine condition.
He was invited by the Scottish artists, who had resolved to found a Scottish academy, to join it as an associate.
Harvey's first picture, "A Village School," was exhibited in 1826 at the Edinburgh Institutiondisambiguation needed; and from the time of the opening of the Academy in the following year he continued annually to exhibit.
His best-known pictures are those depicting historical episodes in religious history from a puritan or evangelical point of view, such as "Covenanters' Preaching," "Covenanters' Communion," "John Bunyan and his Blind Daughter," "Sabbath Evening," and the "Quitting of the Manse."
He was, however, equally popular in Scotland for subjects not directly religious; and "The Bowlers," "A Highland Funeral," "The Curlers," "A Schule Skailin'," and "Children Blowing Bubbles in the Church-yard of Greyfriars', Edinburgh," manifest the same close observation of character, artistic conception and conscientious elaboration of details. In "The Night Mail" and "Dawn Revealing the New World to Columbus" the aspects of nature are, made use of in different ways, but with equal happiness, to lend impressiveness and solemnity to human concerns. He also painted landscapes and portraits.
In 1829 he was elected a fellow of the Royal Scottish Academy; in 1864 he succeeded Sir JW Gordon as president; and he was knighted in 1867.
He died at 21 Regent Terrace in Edinburgh on 22 January 1876.
Sir George Harvey was the author of a paper on the "Colour of the Atmosphere," read before the Edinburgh Royal Society, and afterwards published with illustrations in Good Words; and in 1870 he published a small volume entitled Notes of the Early History of the Royal Scottish Academy. Selections from the Works of Sir George Harvey, PRSA, described by the Rev. AL Simpson, FSA Scot., and photographed by Thomas Annan, appeared at Edinburgh in 1869.
The Royal Scottish Academy (RSA) is a Scottish organisation that promotes contemporary Scottish art. Founded in 1826 as the Scottish Academy it became the Royal Scottish Academy (RSA) on being granted a royal charter in 1838, the RSA maintains a unique position in Scotland as an independently funded institution led by eminent artists and architects to promote and support the creation, understanding, and enjoyment of visual arts through exhibitions and related educational events. In addition to a continuous programme of innovative and exciting new exhibitions, the RSA also administers scholarships, awards, and residencies for artists who live and work in Scotland.
The RSA's historic collection of important artworks and an extensive archive of related material chronicling art and architecture in Scotland over the last 180 years are housed in the Dean Gallery, and are available to researchers by appointment.
Displays of the historic collections are mounted whenever possible. Since 1826, the Academy has occupied William Henry Playfair's magnificent landmark building on the Mound, Edinburgh. "