Williams, J.R. Historical Stock Certificate Signed
J.R. Williams, Secretary of the Kern Oil Land Development Company Incorperated Oct. 1899. Stock No. 560 100 Shares Capital Stock in Kern Country California. Shares sold in Kern City, Ca. on Feb.2. 1900 to B.F. Brooks. Certificate Signed by President, 02/02/1900 - 9 1/2 x 8 signed in blk ink with a two-fold vertical crease. U.S. 5 Cts. Stamp with president initials J.B.M. Nice and clear lettering seen with some minor tears otherwise, very good/fine condition.
1899 - Petroleum in California Registry - Kern Oil Land Development Co. San Francisco Capital, $300,000; per value $1.00
In the year 1900, a pipeline salesman by the name of W.S. Porter convinced the presidents of the five largest companies in the Kern River Oil Field of California to enter into an agreement to turn over their oil interests to form a new company in exchange for stocks and bonds for the appraised value of their properties.
The presidents of the companies were: W. G. Kerckhoff for Reed Crude Oil Company; Burton E. Green for Green-Whittier Oil Company; C. A. Canfield for Canfield Oil Company; M. H. Whittier for Kern Oil Company; John A. Bunting for San Joaquin Oil & Development Company. Securing agreements from 34 other oil companies in the area the Associated Oil Company was incorporated on October 7, 1901 and on January 1, 1902 began actively producing and marketing crude oil.
In 1907, the Associated Pipe Line Company was formed as a subsidiary of the Associated Oil Company with the Southern Pacific Company providing property along its railroad tracks which ran from the Bakersfield Kern River oil fields to Port Costa, California later being shipped to China and other parts of the world. The Southern Pacific Company attained the controlling interest of the Associated Oil Company's stock.
By 1932, J. Paul Getty controlled the interests of the Associated Oil Company, introduced the "Flying A" brand for its premium grade gasoline. The remaining stock was acquired from the Pacific Oil Company, which was formed by Southern Pacific Company to handle their oil interests, and all oil producing properties were sold to the Standard Oil Company of California.